Jewish Family Service (JFS) is seeking a seasoned Chief Development Officer to lead the effort to grow support and awareness in the community for the work that we do. JFS believes in strengthening the community by providing vital services to people in need. Every day, JFS helps people overcome life’s challenges to live fuller, more meaningful lives.
Jewish Family Service of Colorado (JFS) is a 146-year-old human services organization with a strong reputation for quality, high-impact services that each year benefit nearly 22,000 people of all faiths, races, ages, incomes, and abilities. With annual revenue of $12 million, JFS works to reduce hunger and prevent homelessness, provides quality mental health services to children and families, offers job training and placement for people with barriers to employment, and provides support to help older adults maintain a high quality of life.
JFS is very proud of our positive work culture. Our employees enjoy competitive pay and benefits, including a generous holiday and leave program. JFS is a nonsectarian, nonprofit, and inclusive organization.
JFS has a history of garnering significant and long-lasting philanthropic support from corporations, foundations, and individuals. The organization has created several highly-successful signature events that stand out in the Denver community. JFS also has a well-connected Board of Directors whose support is firmly behind an ambitious strategic plan that calls for increased investment in development strategies and resources.
About the Chief Development Officer (CDO)
As a key member of the JFS executive management team, this position is responsible for the strategy, oversight and implementation of all fundraising, marketing and communications efforts. The CDO leads and manages a team of seven fundraising, marketing and development professionals with a goal of increasing awareness and revenue year over year. Serving as an advisor and partner to the CEO and Executive Management Team, the CDO collaborates with JFS staff, supports the Board of Directors, guides the Development Committee, empowers the Development team, engages JFS donors and inspires the community.
- Works with the CEO, Executive Management Team, Board of Directors and staff to define, plan and implement vision, direction, strategy, and operations including:
- Provides input for short- and long-term organization planning
- Helps identify and address development issues
- Creates and implements development plans and programs
- Remains informed of developments in philanthropy, current trends, policies and issues
- Develops a balanced funding mix of donors and solicitation tactics
- Regularly evaluates effectiveness and performance
- In partnership with Development Committee Chair, provides direction, planning and oversight of the Development Committee including meeting management, goal planning, and accountability metrics
- Provides oversight and day-to-day management of all fundraising, marketing and communications activities including:
- Fund development and communications planning that includes strategies, tactics, goals, benchmarks and evaluation
- Sound fiscal oversight and reporting of revenue, expenses, forecasting and budgeting
- Collaborative, energetic and inspiring leader who creates a supportive and authentic work environment that is rewarding for staff and volunteers
- Identifies, recruits, oversees, coaches and mentors direct reports in fundraising, administration and marketing/communications
- Invests in the success of the Development team through regular individual, team and department meetings; professional development commitment; and performance and accountability measurement
- Designs and implements a relationship-based, donor-centric fundraising program to meet the growing needs of the organization including:
- Maintains a personal portfolio of approximately 75 relationships through active management and solicitation of donors through the fundraising cycle
- Oversees and serves as subject-matter expert for all JFS Legacy Society donor conversations and planned giving strategies
- Assists the CEO, Board of Directors, Development Committee, and other fundraising volunteers and staff to identify, cultivate and solicit gifts
- In partnership with consulting firm, oversees development, submission and reporting of foundation, government and corporate grants
- Assures design, active management and success of special events, cultivation and recognition programs, data management, and donor research and reporting
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of seven years’ experience managing, mentoring, and building a team of fundraising, marketing, and communications professionals.
- Minimum of ten years’ experience in fundraising with a proven track record of meeting or exceeding targets. Local fundraising experience, a plus.
- Professional designation as a Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE), a plus.
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge NXT preferred.
- Proven strategic thinker with experience in linking together fundraising, marketing, and communications strategy to get results.
- Experience cultivating individuals, corporations and foundations with major gift potential and a history of success in soliciting large multi-year gifts.
- Ability to communicate, inspire, and engage high-net-worth individuals and community leaders.
- Knowledge and experience in standard fundraising and marketing techniques, including face-to-face solicitation, special events, donor acquisition, and prospect research.
Desired Skills and Abilities
- Excellent leadership, team building, management, and communication skills.
- The ability to work effectively with all levels of staff, board, and community members and organizations to plan and implement new ideas.
- Proven financial and analytical skills, including experience in forecasting, planning, and managing budgets.
- Familiarity with the Jewish culture and local community preferred.
Competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience
How to Apply
Submit resume and cover letter with salary requirement to:
Jean Marshall, Human Resources Director
Only applicants selected for interview will be contacted