The Equal Rights Center (ERC) is a nonprofit organization that advances civil rights in housing, employment and public accommodations in its home community of Greater Washington D.C. and Nationwide. The ERC conducts investigations using civil rights testing to identify unfair and unlawful discrimination and uses data from civil rights testing to educate and advocate and, when necessary, to enforce the law.
The ERC is also a membership organization. ERC members include civil rights testers, activists, volunteers, donors and community members who are committed to the advancement of various civil rights issues. ERC members help the ERC make critical choices about when and how to prioritize investigation resources, participate in ERC investigations and support ERC enforcement efforts.
The ERC is currently hiring a Membership Engagement Coordinator to analyze, engage and grow our membership in both quantity and quality.
- Working with ERC leadership to design and implement metrics based action plans for membership recruitment and engagement and to identify and prioritize member recruitment efforts;
- Recruiting new members, including identifying and reaching out to target audiences, and developing and working with networks of activists and influencers;
- Developing and executing strategies for engaging members, including virtual/remote strategies and the use of social media strategies;
- Creating, overseeing and coordinating logistics for in person and virtual events, meetings, webinars and trainings;
- Representing and speaking about the ERC at various meetings, events and conferences;
- Creating online and printed member materials and content, and drafting member correspondence;
- Developing member based donation strategies, and soliciting, tracking and handling donations from members;
- Surveying, researching and evaluating data regarding current ERC members and contacts;
- Providing feedback on the utility of customer relationship management (CRM) data management tools;
- Using data to evaluate the effectiveness of different types of membership engagement;
- Entering and maintaining accurate and complete records of members, member communications, engagement efforts results, and member recruitment; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with an affinity for establishing and managing relationships.
- Enjoy working with people of diverse backgrounds (e.g., race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and social economic status, etc.).
- Experience coordinating, developing and/or implementing outreach strategies for various issue campaigns.
- Willingness and ability to travel out of state at least 30-40% of the time (or 6-8 days a month) and to work a flexible schedule including some evenings and weekends.
- Exceptional presentation and public speaking skills and strong written communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and civil rights.
- Knowledge of web activism and customer relationship management technologies is preferred.
- Experience with grassroots and/or online donor fundraising is a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Power Point, Word, Excel, Publisher), internet and social media platforms
- Highly organized with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects with attention to detail and deadlines.
- Self-motivated and able to take initiative with minimal supervision while comfortable working with a diverse team.
How to Apply
Please e-mail the following documents to [email protected] and include a cover letter, resume and brief writing sample.
E-mail Subject Line: Engagement Coordinator
Deadline: Open until filled