Jericho Project is a nationally-acclaimed nonprofit ending homelessness at its roots by enabling homeless individuals and families to attain quality housing, employment and mental and physical health services. The 34-year-old nonprofit serves over 2,500 individuals, including 700 veterans, annually. Jericho has been a key partner in New York City’s initiative to end veterans’ homelessness, and is leading bold, innovative strategies to do the same for families and young adults.
Our programs touch four cornerstones of a person’s life: housing, employment, wellness and family stability. We create a culture of “moving on” through a foundation of housing and supportive services provided by expert program specialists and case managers.
We have over 400 units of supportive housing including 8 residences in the Bronx and Harlem, as well as scatter-site apartments throughout NYC.
Career Counselor will provide direct services to young adult tenants at Walton House in order to help them achieve the highest possible level of employment, educational attainment, and /or other meaningful activity, e.g., paid internship. Career Counselor will work closely with a team of life coaches to ensure that participants’ employment and educational goals are fully met.
Program Director; WFO
- Provide workforce development services to 33 young adults residing in Walton House.
- Develop creative tenant engagement strategies and maintain high level of engagement in program activities.
- Conduct, at minimum, bi weekly outreach to all tenants and maintain related progress notes.
- Complete employment and educational assessments on all participants; ensure that assessments and service plans are updated regularly as required.
- In partnership with life coaches, set goals and develop service plans related to WfO with each individual tenant.
- Identify low- and no-cost community resources; refer participants to skills training programs, HSE, ESOL and other literacy programs, college and other higher education programs, as indicated in their individual service plans.
- Assist participants in developing a job readiness portfolio, including a resume, assessment of interviewing skills, and letters of inquiries.
- Work closely with WfO’s Employment Specialists; respond to job leads within required timeframe; identify and refer participants for matching positions via Electronic Case Management system (ECM).
- Assist participants in conducting independent job search; identify new job leads as needed and make direct referrals to employers.
- Provide job retention and follow up services to employed participants.
- Access community resources to aide young adults in their job search, job retention and/or re-placement efforts.
- Collect and submit documents to substantiate milestones related to employment, education and training.
- Participate in case conferencing sessions with life coaches and program managers, as required.
- Regularly attend program and staff meetings required by WfO and Walton House.
- Maintain and update participant information in ECM and other data management systems as required by the program.
- Provide information related to participant engagement, employment and educational achievements, and other performance indicators as requested.
- Other responsibilities as assigned and required by the emerging needs of programs and participants.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Experience in program development and service delivery for young adults, in particular, LGBTQ-identified and young adults experiencing homelessness.
Ability to engage and inspire homeless young adults, including those with psychiatric illnesses or histories of substance abuse.
Ability to motivate young adults to pursue employment and education and achieve positive outcomes.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills and advanced computer literacy.
- Experience in motivational viewing practices and person-centered service planning.
- Knowledge of Saleforce.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Jericho Project offers a comprehensive benefits package.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must submit a cover letter and with salary requirements to:
Human Resources Department
Job Code: Career Counselor, Walton
115 W. 29th Street, Suite 902
New York, NY 10001
No Phone Calls Please.
Jericho Project is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.