Founded in 1971, the National Association of Community Health Centers (NACHC) serves as the national health care advocacy organization for America’s medically underserved and uninsured and the community health centers that serve as their health care home.
NACHC works in conjunction with state and regional primary care associations, health center controlled networks and other public and private sector organizations to expand health care access to all in need.
- Serves as the national and unified voice to advocate on behalf of medically uninsured and uninsured populations.
- Advocates for growth and development of health centers and the needs of all medically underserved and uninsured populations.
- Provides training and technical assistance to health center staff and boards in operational, financial, clinical and governance areas.
- Conducts research – independently and in collaboration with others – to advance the body of community healthcare knowledge.
- Develops strategic partnerships in both the public and private sectors to support the work of health centers and improve the health of patients and communities nationwide.
NACHC is seeking a candidate to fill the role of Director, National Grassroots Advocacy. The ideal candidate will have 7 to 10 years of relevant work experience, including experience developing and spearheading grassroots advocacy or civic engagement campaigns. Qualified candidates should have strong communication skills, both verbal and writing, and experience in managing online advocacy platforms and utilizing social media to engage and educate grassroots advocates and elected officials. In addition, the right candidate will have fundraising experience and strong track record of building national and/or state alliances to empower communities and further the mission of NACHC.
Chief Strategy Officer
- Managing the planning, implementation and coordination of all grassroots advocacy activity for the association including day-to-day management of the activities of the Health Center Advocacy Network.
- Supporting the work of the NACHC Federal and State Affairs staff by developing short-term and long-term advocacy strategies to achieve NACHC’s policy goals.
- Working with the NACHC Policy Research staff to develop compelling advocacy materials, using data to tell the Health Center story.
- Working with State and Regional Primary Care Associations and Health Center Controlled Networks to develop their internal advocacy capacity and effectiveness and to ensure that state and local advocacy efforts are coordinated with NACHC’s advocacy program.
- Managing all grassroots advocacy elements of and logistics related to the NACHC Policy & Issues Forum and required educational sessions at the P&I, FOM IT, the Community Health Institute, and other NACHC meetings and conferences.
- Staff NACHC Advocacy Task Force.
- Coordinating federal advocacy activities of the State Legislative Coordinators, as necessary.
- Managing the development and dissemination of advocacy education programs and materials to ensure effective response to federal advocacy campaigns, including NACHC tele-forum calls and webinars.
- Managing NACHC online advocacy platform and other technology vendor relationships.
- Manage agreements with affiliates on NACHC advocacy platform and within other programming.
- Planning and implementing a program to build visibility and alliances for NACHC and Health Centers with a wide range of organizations and institutions to build support and acquire resources for furthering the mission of health centers.
- Managing an effective national civic engagement program to develop local activities and build alliances that will empower and inform the clients and communities that health centers serve.
- Managing all aspects of National Health Center Week, including fundraising from corporate sponsors and private foundations.
- Oversee Key Contacts Program, including the development of training and educational materials, contact database, identification, and recruiting.
- Oversee the Advocacy Leadership Program, Hispanic Advocacy Program, Board Member Advocacy Certificate, Digital Advocacy University, and Advocacy Center of Excellence Program.
- Oversee all advocacy communications via NACHC advocacy platform, social media accounts, and other advocacy tools as necessary.
Qualifications for Position
- BA or BS degree (required)
- 7-10 years of experience in grassroots advocacy or community organizing
- Will directly supervise grassroots advocacy department staff
Skills and Knowledge Required
- Knowledge of federal legislative process and actors
- Knowledge of grassroots communications tools and tactics
- Understanding of legal and regulatory rules impacting health center advocacy and lobbying
- Strong communications skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to effectively motivate, empower, and engage various target audiences
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with online advocacy tools
- Understanding of the use of social media for advocacy
- Experience with corporate fundraising
- Experience managing a team
How to Apply