NYC SALT’s mission is to engage, inspire, and empower youth from low-income, predominantly immigrant communities in New York City to reach their full potential through photography and video instruction. Our vision is to restore great visual art instruction for New York high school students and make the arts and especially creativity an important component of their preparation for academic and career success. We achieve these goals through an innovative model that combines rigorous, sequential visual art instruction taught by well-known artists and highly-experienced creative industry professionals, along with individualized mentoring, college preparation, career exploration, placement in internships, and job readiness training.
NYC SALT is governed by a 14-member Board of Directors and has an annual operating budget of 700K; employs 3 full time employees and has a roster of 5 industry-recognized artists. Together we are serving 200 students.
NYC SALT INFORMATION
NYC Salt Students:
What is NYC Salt?:
The Development Director will report to and work closely with the Executive Director. The Development Director is responsible for visioning, designing and executing a comprehensive fundraising strategy to support the growth and advancement of the organization. This position is responsible for the development of revenue growth through institutional sources as well as individual donors, including special events and campaigns and NYC Salt’s supporting internal and external communications.
This is a new position for our organization and a great opportunity for someone interested in building their own shop.
- Working with the ED to develop and execute of a comprehensive annual fundraising plan that advises resource development goals in NYC Salt’s strategic plan.
- Expansion of our major donor program through building a successful prospect pipeline strategy with the goal of broadening the donor base through prospect identification, cultivation, and stewardship.
- Develop strong relationships with New York-based businesses/corporations through sponsorship and group volunteerism.
- Creating and implementing a corporate giving/sponsorship strategy.
- Writing grant proposals and reports for foundations, corporations, and government supporters; collecting data for these documents; keeping track of deadlines; ensuring up-to-date funder data through our database.
- Direct management of fundraising and cultivation events, including peer-to-peer fundraisers, cocktail parties, dinners and our annual gala.
- Guiding and supporting Board participation in fundraising.
- Establish a positive, collaborative relationship with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and volunteers to assure the most effective use of talent, resources, and ideas in fundraising; instill best development practices across the organization.
- Create internal and external communications, such as newsletters, presentations, all fundraising collateral.
- Manage communications initiatives and campaigns to effectively increase visibility across New York City.
- Maintaining the donor database and other spreadsheet tracking tools of information on institutional funders.
- Preparing and managing the schedule for reports and proposals
- Working with the Development Chair to plan and execute strategic and effective committee meetings.
- Attend Board of Director meetings.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum five years of experience in nonprofit fundraising with individuals, foundations, and/or corporations, preferably in an arts or education organization
- Minimum two years of experience leading a team and managing staff.
- Demonstrated success developing a major gifts program.Experience organizing fundraising galas.
- Committed to working with diverse student and community populations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to make articulate presentations to individuals and groups, and the ability to write effectively and persuasively.
- Comfortable coaching, supporting, training and retaining a team
- Experience in growing nonprofit organizations or start-ups
- An established record of meeting and exceeding institutional and governmental fundraising goals
- Experience in sponsorship, sponsorship packages, grant writing and prospect research
- Experience in hiring, retaining and training a team.
- Ability to develop relationships and build community and culture with students, staff, volunteers, donors, and corporate sponsors
- Passion for youth education and the mission of NYC Salt
Salary range 85K-100K. Salary commensurate with experience. Full Health Insurance Benefits, Dental. Paid time off.
How to Apply
Please submit a substantial one-page cover letter as well as a resume, up to two pages, addressing the above requirements as one PDF to [email protected] with Development Director in the subject line. The cover letter should include a summary of work experience including experience in securing major gifts, partnerships and sponsorships, experience in managing a portfolio of donors, and goals achieved to date.
Also welcome are URL links and background information for up to two projects/initiatives.