Streetwork Project is an innovative outreach-counseling program for homeless youth in Manhattan, which utilizes a harm reduction approach. Services include concrete homeless services and supplies, meals, counseling, case management, peer education and outreach, drop-in center, support groups, mental health services, legal and medical care, and housing placement services. This position ensures a consistent drop-in environment and coordinates access to supplies and services supporting homeless young people’s stabilization and fostering their full participation in an array of services designed reduce harm and promote healing from trauma.
Essential Job Functions:
- Monitor and ensure clients’ daily access to concrete services such as supplies and showers as well as counseling services.
- Distribute supplies to clients and facilitate client laundry services.
- Cover duties of the reception desk, client care area and kitchen as needed.
- Provide milieu counseling to homeless youth.
- Coordinate daily staff coverage schedule in absence of the Assistant Director.
- Monitor and oversee all daily services of the drop-in center in absence of Assistant Director.
- Develop and maintain inventory systems to track flow of client and drop-in center supplies.
- Order and properly inventory all hygiene and client supplies used to meet clients’ emergency homeless needs.
- Order and properly inventory all drop-in supplies needed to maintain the drop in center.
- Coordinate external maintenance and repair services needed for drop-in center operation.
- Work with Assistant Director to develop budget for drop-in and client supplies.
- Track expenditures related to drop-in and hygiene supplies.
- Process all clothing and materials donations ensuring proper storage and distribution.
- Generate and maintain statistical records used to track service targets.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Secondary Job Functions:
- Participate at staff trainings, meetings, and group process workshops;
- Co-facilitate daytime groups as needed.
- Network and establish contacts to attract material donations.
- Interact with Safe Horizon’s development department to attract in-kind donations.
- Experience with GLBTQ, homeless and street-involved youth populations;
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and problem solving skills;
- Spanish-speaking skills are preferred;
- High School Diploma and;
- Three to five years of relevant work experience working with at-risk/homeless adolescents in a harm reduction program or;
- 3 years high-quality work demonstrated at Streetwork Project
- Certification in Food Handling from NYC DOHMH (desired);
- Serve Safe Certification (desired)
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employmentAmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply
How to Apply
To apply click on the ink below: