As the Managing Director of Development, your mission is to set the stage for ensuring regional sustainability for OneGoal New York by 2022, moving from start-up mode to established region.
Only 22% of students from low-income communities earn a college degree, compared to 67% of their peers from high income areas. At OneGoal, we believe that all students – not just those with the best grades or the most resources – have the ability and deserve the opportunity to earn a college degree. What's more, we have developed a solution that works, and we believe this problem is solvable within our lifetime.
We are looking for individuals who will join OneGoal during this unique window in time:
- In just 10 years, OneGoal has grown from 32 students in one city to some 12,000 students in six regions.
- OneGoal's teacher-led, in-school, three-year college access and success model is game-changing. While nationwide, only 22% of kids in low-income communities graduate from college, 82% of OneGoal Fellows (students) enroll in college and 78% are persisting or have graduated from college.
- Over the next five years we have set our sights on unprecedented goals: first, to attain a 60% postsecondary graduation rate among Fellows; second, to grow to support more than 25,000 students directly; and third, to develop new delivery models to dramatically grow our reach.
- In OneGoal New York, the first-ever class of high school seniors graduated in June 2017, and 88% of those students enrolled in college the fall following their high school graduation, exceeding outcomes across the organization and logging one of the highest per class enrollment rates in OneGoal's history. To learn more about our work within the New York region in particular, please visit our New York page HERE. (http://www.onegoalgraduation.org/communities/new-york/)
OneGoal is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or parenthood.
We believe that in order to create the change we seek, each person we hire brings a remarkable and diverse set of experiences, skills and characteristics that individually and collectively, will contribute to the radical change needed to move us towards a more equitable and just nation.
Guided by a clear set of core values and beliefs, you will join an impressive group of more than 130 OneGoal staff across the country who believe in the untapped potential within students. The OneGoal team challenges themselves and others to regularly ask, “Is there a better way?”
You believe - and your work has demonstrated your belief - that all students can earn a college degree and the life that comes with it. As the Managing Director of Development, your mission is to set the stage for ensuring regional sustainability for OneGoal New York by 2022, moving from start-up mode to established region. You'll do so by maintaining financial stability by retaining and growing a diversified and sustainable investor base, building economies of scale to keep the revenue goal manageable, overseeing our regional operations team, and working with the Executive Director and the Managing Director of Program to form the regional leadership team. You will have two direct reports and your workload breakdown will consist of 45% strategy and team management, 40% external relationships, and 15% regional leadership.
Specifically, you will:
- Set and execute a multi-year vision for the OneGoal New York Development and Operations team, including multi-year goals, strategies, and campaigns across foundation, corporate, individual and public funding streams
- Influence and motivate new and existing external constituents to invest in our work, at $2.4M in this fiscal year, and over $3M each of the next few years
- Effectively manage a portfolio of donors (individuals, corporations, foundations, and public sources) by reviewing and analyzing progress to goal and making strategic decisions to inform actions and campaigns
- Lead the charge in identifying additional sources of public funding, while managing our school-based fee-for-service revenue
- Establish strong learning and collaboration structures that allow the team to come together to share progress, learn from one another, and continue to refine our approach toward regional sustainability while maximizing efficiency and efficacy
- Engage with the National Development Team and other regional teams to ensure consistent and meaningful collaboration between New York and the organization with the ultimate goal of partnership at every level
- Serve as a key strategist and thought-partner to the Executive Director as we consider the long-term implications of Phase III and beyond here in New York
Though the OneGoal New York Managing Director of Development is likely to see himself/herself/themselves in the following examples, these are not requirements. These examples are designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own passion and purpose.
You are a compelling and inspiring communicator and it is rooted in your beliefs.
- You've developed materials and talking points that have resulted in impact and building champions in your work. You have a unique ability to understand others' perspectives and motivators and adjust your messages, approach and design based on your audience.
- You get energy from meeting others and they are inspired when they meet you. When you meet someone, you are able to understand what motivates them, communicate why our work matters, and connect their interests to investing in OneGoal. You are an exceptional communicator with experience winning people over. It's energizing to “close the deal,” and you will not give up easily when you have identified someone who is a strong fit.
- Your written and verbal communication shines whether meant for a new intern or a founding Board member.
You are a puzzle-solver and strategist.
- You like to explore and build innovative approaches and have designed new ways of doing things. You make connections, determine fits, and build plans that are responsive to interlocking and evolving challenges and opportunities.
- Contingency planning and problem solving excite you and working to streamline and improve systems give you energy.
- You are driven by solving at both the group and individual level, using both data and experience, recognizing the complexity of action and strategy requires evidence as well as an ability to dream big.
You are a leader and collaborator.
- You connect your success to the success of those you work with and believe in both shared responsibility and mutual accountability.
- You leverage strengths and believe in clear expectations and regular, honest feedback are the cornerstones of growth.
- As a manager, you believe in the inherent potential and capacity of people, and you seek to empower your team to become leaders and agents of change, to grow and thrive and to ultimately share in building OneGoal New York
You believe in people and the promise of humanity and are committed to equity and inclusion.
- You believe in an inclusive and culturally competent society and the essence of our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
As the incoming Managing Director of Development, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- 5-7 years of experience in professional fundraising and development with demonstrated experience expanding and cultivating an existing donor base over time
- 5-7 years of knowledge and experience in fundraising techniques, particularly major gift fundraising, individual giving and corporate foundations and relations
- Demonstrated success leading, managing, and coaching a team to achieve ambitious results
- Excellent written communications skills both written and oral; ability to influence and engage donors and build long-term relationships
- Strong organization, time management and project management skills with exceptional attention to details
- Deep understanding and familiarity of the New York philanthropic landscape
- Bachelor's Degree required; Master's Degree preferred
- Willingness to travel to donors and partners across New York City
OneGoal New York offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, which includes medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, life insurance, retirement matching, paid parental leave, and more. We also offer a generous paid time off policy, including 20 paid vacation days, holidays and 6 sick days.
OneGoal New York has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit an updated resume and a cover letter explaining your passion and alignment to this position, addressed to Nikki Thompson, Executive Director, here. (https://ats.k2-app.com/jobPosting/apply/2144)
ABOUT KOYA LEADERSHIP PARTNERS
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with mission-driven organizations, institutions of higher education and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information, visit www.koyapartners.com.