National Center for Youth Law
The National Center for Youth Law (NCYL) ensures that low-income children have the resources, support, and opportunities they need for healthy and productive lives. To do this, NCYL leads cross-sector campaigns that hold public systems accountable to children and families. Our strategies weave together coalition building, demonstration projects, policy development, research, technical assistance, and litigation, when necessary. NCYL’s unique strength is working at the convergence of youth rights issue areas, with intersectional campaigns focused on adolescent health, child trafficking, child welfare, education, immigration, youth justice, and reproductive justice.
NCYL seeks an Attorney/Senior Attorney to join our growing Legal Advocacy team, focused on bringing impact litigation on behalf of marginalized children and youth. The Attorney/Senior Attorney will focus on litigating in NCYL’s core areas: child welfare, mental health, immigration, reproductive justice, education and juvenile justice. The Attorney/Senior Attorney will be part of a dynamic and growing team of litigators and report to one of the Legal Advocacy team’s Senior Directors.
- Supporting and helping to lead litigation efforts.
- Case development, including on-site interviews and investigations and analysis of potential legal claims.
- Legal research and analysis.
- Collaborating with other NCYL staff and with co-counsel.
- Litigation, and post-litigation enforcement of judgments/settlements, including drafting complaints, motions, memoranda, and briefs; and engaging in discovery
- J.D. degree, admitted to practice law in California or willing to seek admission.
- Excellent analytic and writing skills.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to manage complex projects.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Outstanding oral communication skills
- Knowledge of the challenges facing vulnerable children.
- Creative problem solving and ability to stay focused on the big-picture.
- Commitment to NCYL’s overarching goals and objectives.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Attorney: Skills and capacities associated with at least three years’ experience at a public interest law firm or government agency with a focus on litigation OR four years’ experience at a law firm with significant pro bono experience.
- Senior Attorney: Skills and capacities associated with at least seven years’ experience at a public interest law firm or government agency with a focus on litigation OR eight years’ experience at a law firm with significant pro bono experience.
- Significant substantive knowledge of the areas in which NCYL works.
- Fluency in second language (e.g., Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, Tagalog) spoken by youth learning English and limited English proficient parents.
Salary is competitive with a range of $60,000 - $75,000 annually for Attorneys and $80,000 - $92,000 for Senior Attorneys. NCYL provides health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability insurance, vacation and sick benefits, and an employer contribution to a retirement plan.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted through June 11, 2018. Submit a cover letter and resume to apply. No phone calls or emails please.
NCYL is an affirmative action / equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, age, ethnic background, sex, disability, size, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, color, marital status, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, or genetic information. Applicants of color and those who will increase the diversity of NCYL are strongly encouraged to apply.