Mercado Global is a social enterprise with an innovative approach to fighting poverty and empowering women in rural Guatemala. By providing business development support and connecting artisan cooperatives to sales opportunities in the U.S. on an unprecedented scale, Mercado Global partner artisans are a source of change in global sourcing practices.
Each Mercado Global collection starts with a journey to the highlands of Guatemala where our designers partner with indigenous women artisans to develop unique pieces that combine Mayan craftsmanship with modern design. From one of the most marginalized populations in the world, our partner artisans are rising to become leaders in their communities and are sending their children to school, often for the first time.
Mercado Global’s partners include Nordstrom, Anthropologie and Target, among others. Newsweek has featured Mercado Global on its cover, and Good Morning America, Harper’s Bazaar, and others have showcased the organization’s designs. Our institutional supporters include the Levi Strauss Foundation, the PIMCO Foundation, and the Greater Impact Foundation.
The Communications Manager serves as Mercado Global’s lead grant writer and fundraising communications manager. This role is responsible for meeting our foundation-related revenue goals and will oversee the grant process from prospecting and writing, to managing the reporting calendar and completing reports. This role also manages the communications calendar and creation of key communication tools, including the annual report, quarterly donor updates, eblasts, and other fundraising-related collateral and marketing tools.
Mercado Global seeks a Communications Manager who is passionate about growing a cutting-edge model for fighting poverty and empowering women. He/she should have self-initiative, leadership capabilities, and strong written communication skills.
This position provides communications and grant-writing professionals with the opportunity to work with our talented team in Guatemala and the indigenous women we serve. This position is based at our Guatemala headquarters in Panajachel, Guatemala and reports directly to the Development Director.
Grant writing and management:
- Maintain pipeline of foundation prospects that align with Mercado Global’s mission,
- Develop and submit grant proposals and maintain institutional fundraising application and reporting calendar,
- Track grant activity progress internally and prepare narrative and financial reports and other engagement tools for current funders.
- Develop and manage annual communications calendar,
- Develop marketing tools such as benefits package and pitch deck for private and corporate funders, annual report, brochures, postcards, invitations, quarterly reports, eblasts, flyers, website etc.,
- Write campaign content and appeals,
- Manage artisan story library for grant reports and other organization communications.
- A bachelor’s degree,
- Minimum two years grant writing experience with proven track record of success,
- Ability to create effective content for multiple audiences,
- Demonstrated leadership in meeting fundraising goals,
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to quickly incorporate feedback,
- Superior critical thinking skills and attention to detail,
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural team setting and communicate effectively in English, with some level of Spanish preferred
- Excellent project management and organizational skills with an ability to push multiple projects forward simultaneously,
- Experience managing interns and superior delegation skills
- Commitment to Mercado Global’s mission,
- Extreme flexibility, drive, sense of humor, and prior experience living long-term outside the U.S., and
- Commitment to a one-year contract to live and work in Guatemala.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to Molly Burns at [email protected].
Please indicate “Communications Manager” in the subject line of your email.