Mercado Global is a social enterprise with an innovative approach to fighting poverty and empowering women in rural Guatemala. By providing business development support and connecting artisan cooperatives to sales opportunities in the U.S. on an unprecedented scale, Mercado Global partner artisans are a source of change in global sourcing practices.
Each Mercado Global collection starts with a journey to the highlands of Guatemala where our designers partner with indigenous women artisans to develop unique pieces that combine Mayan craftsmanship with modern design. From one of the most marginalized populations in the world, our partner artisans are rising to become leaders in their communities and are sending their children to school, often for the first time.
Mercado Global’s partners include Nordstrom, Anthropologie and Target, among others. Newsweek has featured Mercado Global on its cover, and Good Morning America, Harper’s Bazaar, and others have showcased the organization’s designs. Our institutional supporters include the Levi Strauss Foundation, the PIMCO Foundation, and the Greater Impact Foundation.
Learn more at
The Development Director leads Mercado Global’s fundraising program and team. The position reports into and works closely with the organization’s Executive Director. The Development Director is responsible for meeting annual fundraising goals via grants, corporate sponsorships, fundraising events, and our annual appeal. The Development Director’s team manages donor relationships and the organization’s donor communications calendar, including overseeing the creation of key communication tools, such as the annual report and quarterly updates.
Mercado Global seeks a Development Director who is passionate about growing a cutting-edge model for fighting poverty and empowering women. He/she should have significant fundraising experience, leadership capabilities, self-initiative, and strong communication skills.
This position provides fundraising professionals with the opportunity to work with our network of institutional partners, donors, our talented team in Guatemala, and the indigenous women we serve.
- Develop and implement fundraising strategy and annual fundraising plan
- Work closely with the Executive Director and the Board development committee to identify, cultivate, and solicit individual major donors
- Develop individual donor solicitations (annual appeals, project asks, event asks, corporate sponsor asks)
- Report fundraising progress to board and support board development committee
- Cultivate and manage foundation relationships including overseeing the writing of proposals, LOI’s and reports
- Manage development team to meet fundraising goals, including supervision of donor communication strategies, event strategies, and development operations
- A bachelor’s degree and a minimum of five years of fundraising experience. A background in international development and/or non-profits preferred.
- Demonstrated success in developing fundraising strategies and meeting fundraising goals
- Demonstrated success in cultivating and managing major donor relationships
- Excellent writing skills and proven success in writing donor correspondence
- Experience in grant writing and managing foundation relationships
- Staff management experience
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to move multiple projects forward simultaneously
- Proficiency in written and spoken Spanish a plus
- Enthusiasm for Mercado Global’s mission
- Flexibility, drive and a sense of humor
How to Apply
Please send cover letter, resume, and references to Ruth DeGolia at [email protected] Please indicate “Development Director” in the subject line of your email.