We are Summer Search, a national youth development organization dedicated to creating greater equity by increasing the number of students from low-income backgrounds who successfully enter and complete college. Since 1990, we have partnered with high schools, community-based organizations, and families to provide mentoring (by full-time staff), transformative summer experiences, and start-to-finish college advising and support. Our long-term investment (7-9 years) successfully supports our students in changing the nation’s college completion narrative. 96% are students of color; 92% are first in their families to attend college; 71% earn a bachelor’s degree within six years of graduating high school, compared to just 21% of their low-income peers nationally.
THE OPPORTUNITY Summer Search Bay Area is seeking a Foundation and Corporation Relations Officer to drive our regional institutional fundraising. As a member of the 7-member Bay Area development team, the Officer will drive an institutional fundraising strategy to secure more than $1.5 million from an existing portfolio of supporters (e.g. PwC, Koret Foundation, LinkedIn) and the development of new institutional partners. This is an exciting position for an experienced development professional to join a collaborative and mission-driven team and play a significant role in growing Summer Search’s impact in the Bay Area and nationwide.
Specifically, the Foundation and Corporate Relations Officer will:
- Manage and grow a portfolio of institutional funders across the Bay Area to achieve an annual fundraising goal of $1.5 million and contribute to the team’s overall success against a $5 million annual revenue target.
- Lead outreach, cultivation, and stewardship of an existing portfolio of existing corporate and foundation partners.
- Collaborate with program staff to build compelling grant proposals and deliver timely funding reports.
- Identify, research, qualify and cultivate new relationships with local institutional funders that align with Summer Search’s growth plans and core values and have the capacity to make 5-7 figure gifts.
- Partner with Board members to identify and cultivate relationship with institutional contacts, particularly corporations.
- Raise the profile and awareness of Summer Search in the Bay Area philanthropic and corporate communities by representing Summer Search at strategic outreach opportunities.
- Partner with a Senior Development Associate who supports grant writing and reporting, event corporate sponsorship, and institutional data tracking and research.
- Partner with national development team and senior leadership to maximize opportunities and relationships for network-wide funding.
- Collaborate with a cohort of institutional fundraisers across the Summer Search network offering thought-partnership and take a leadership role in introducing and driving best practices across the organization.
WHO YOU ARE
Strong candidates will bring:
- At least 4 years of professional experience in the nonprofit development field, with a successful history of providing end-to-end support in securing 5 and 6-figure institutional gifts.
- Demonstrated experience in building and implementing an institutional fundraising strategy.
- •Demonstrated experience in crafting winning grant proposals, letters of inquiry, reports, and other funding-related communications.
- Ability and confidence to represent the organization in meetings with funders and experience in preparing leadership (e.g. executive-level staff and Board members) for high-stakes funding opportunities.
- Equally comfortable playing external and internal roles, demonstrating a professional and warm demeanor in developing relationships with a variety of stakeholders; strong relationship building skills.
- Solid organizational and project management skills, including the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and competing deadlines.
- Strong sense of teamwork and ability to collaborate across teams
- Experience with a fund development moves management system, with impeccable attention to detail and accuracy in tracking donor information in Raiser’s Edge or comparable database.
- Flexibility and eagerness to learn and ability to adapt to the fast pace of a high-performing team, with an ability to thrive in a roll-up-your-sleeves environment.
- A commitment to Summer Search’s mission to partner with students from low-income backgrounds transform what they believe is possible for themselves and strengthen the skills they need to become college-educated leaders who give back to
OUR BENEFITS We are committed to staff learning, growth and development. Our holistic investment includes:
- Competitive salaries
- Medical insurance with up to 90% employer contribution
- Dental, vision, FSA, life and disability insurance plans
- 401 (K) and Employer Match up to $2,000 annually
- Generous time off including 15 vacation days, 10 sick days, 2 floating holidays, 10 company-wide holidays and a 1-week December closure.
- Individual, local, regional and national training
- A commitment to developing leaders from within the organization.
- An organizational culture that supports staff well-being and holistic self-care
- Ample opportunities to connect with the students and communities we serve
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
With a staff that cares deeply about social justice and racial equity, we believe that diverse perspectives and backgrounds create a rich work environment and enhance our ability to pursue our mission. We are committed to building an organization with raised consciousness in order to impact how we work with students, as well as how we work together as a team. We hope you will join us as we continue to build a diverse organization that fosters a work environment where people from all backgrounds are welcomed and valued.
How to Apply
Select "Apply for this Position" below to submit a resume and targeted cover letter, addressed to Kenyon DeVault, Bay Area Director of Development, that answers the question, “Why are you interested in the Foundation and Corporate Relations Officer opportunity at Summer Search?”