The Director of Strategy, Evaluation and Learning, a member of the senior management team who reports to the President/CEO, provides the leadership for developing and refining program strategies in conjunction with staff using data, stakeholder input, and collaborative decision-making processes involving board and committee volunteers. This position also oversees and implements the evaluation of the foundation’s impact. Using evaluation results and knowledge from the field, this position promotes learning among staff, board and donors about foundation strategic priorities and other programmatic work, issues and trends facing the region, and effective programmatic, donor engagement, and community leadership strategies.
The successful director will achieve the following outcomes over time, working with other staff, board and volunteers:
- In conjunction with evaluation consultant, develop an evaluation plan that identifies and develops evaluation priorities, theories of change and indicators for strategic goals, and processes and products that will allow data and findings to be used in oversight, decision-making, strategy development, and learning opportunities for staff, board, donors and nonprofits.
- Support program staff by working with them to develop and refine objectives and strategies for strategic plan goals.
- Create dashboard(s) to track and inform decision-making on organizational performance, strategic plan implementation, and foundation communications.
- Develop and implement regular learning opportunities for staff, board, donors, volunteers and nonprofits.
- Support program staff to develop and refine program strategy focused on foundation strategic priorities and utilizing evaluation and data.
- Research, understand and apply best practice and emerging philanthropic strategies.
- Oversee and implement an evaluation program that measures foundation performance across all function areas, effectiveness of program and donor engagement strategies, and contributions to community-level impact.
- Develop and drive a learning agenda for the foundation that utilizes data and evaluation findings in foundation decision-making, program strategy development, donor engagement and communications.
- Establish and implement internal and external reporting and in-person briefings that deepen understanding of the foundation’s impact and community leadership as well as inform and strengthen networks of key constituencies, including nonprofits and donors.
- Develop and oversee implementation of internal data collection and reporting methods.
- Collect and facilitate use of external data by foundation staff to increase knowledge of trends, issues and needs facing the region for use in strategy development, convenings, and digital and print communications.
- Develop a grantee and scholarship reporting system that provides data for staff oversight, organizational learning, and donor stewardship.
- Oversee evaluation activities for the foundation’s strategic plan, including evaluation design, managing outside evaluators, and tracking progress on key initiatives.
- Bachelor's degree required; graduate degree preferred in discipline that involves research, data analysis, policy, and/or evaluation.
Experience and skills:
- 7-10 years professional experience working in a nonprofit, government, academic or for-profit setting.
- Demonstrated strategic, analytic and problem-solving skills; past experience in setting, developing and implementing organizational strategies to move toward a defined goal or outcome.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret, analyze, and act on data from research or evaluation studies.
- Experience with technology and database systems, and the use of technology-based platforms and data to inform decision-making and constituent groups.
- Experience collaborating with diverse groups in organizational or community-based settings.
- Excellent writing, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent project management skills evidenced by the ability to concurrently manage multiple time-sensitive activities to completion.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
Commensurate with experience and skills. Benefits include health, dental, life, disability, paid vacation, sick leave and contribution to 403(b) plan.
How to Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter to [email protected]. No calls please.