Flamboyan Foundation seeks an enthusiastic, analytical, creative, and results-focused Associate of Program Operations for our Washington, D.C. office. The person in this role will help to manage and refine operational systems and processes to ensure our work with partner schools is consistent and effective. The ideal candidate brings a passion for education equity as well as experience in project management and financial or grants management.
Currently in our 8th year of operation in D.C., Flamboyan Foundation is partnering with over 50 local public and public charter schools, with DC Public Schools central office, and with several teacher and leader preparation programs to equip them with the confidence, knowledge, skills and resources to effectively partner with families for student success.
The Associate of Program Operations position is an exciting opportunity for someone interested in a growing, entrepreneurial, and collaborative organization that is working to improve student learning by changing how D.C. families and educators partner to support student success. This position reports to the Managing Director of Program Operations and works closely with other internal teams engaged in Flamboyan’s effective family engagement work in Washington, D.C.
Support partnership operations and finances
- Manage relationships with teacher leads and timekeepers, as well as with the Finance and Operations departments of partner organizations
- Carry out all aspects of partner school finance and operations, including helping to develop and manage budgets, payments and procurement of materials for partner schools, as well as overseeing and tracking invoices to schools and school contribution payments to Flamboyan
- Support DCPS payment processes through Flamboyan’s data platform and responding to inquiries about payments
- Assist in the creation of school agreements, learning partnership agreements, stipend agreements, and other formal contracts with partners
- Develop and/or update training materials and facilitate partner training and onboarding to finance and procurement procedures, providing ongoing technical assistance thereafter
- Participate in regular program cross-team management meetings, and draft and coordinate partner school communications; manage inquiries received through our online partner support platform to ensure effective technical assistance and support to partner schools; provide internal communications and updates to coaches to ensure program management is effectively supported
- Help to identify areas where more support or guidance may be necessary for partner operations, including timely logging in the data platform and ensuring partners are effective financial stewards; collaborate with coaches to ensure financial and operational management is effectively supported
Support the development and management of grant proposals
- Assist the operations team in refining and implementing grants management and tracking systems
- Support the preparation of budgets and financial reports for proposals and grants
- Support grant management, including proposal and report writing, gather data and coordinate input from relevant team members, as necessary, and manage staff time and effort tracking as needed
Design and implement systems and structures
- Identify recurring challenges to family engagement work that need new or revised systems and work collaboratively with Managing Director of Program Operations and coaching teams to analyze the problem and design solutions
- Help to develop and inventory systems, processes and trackers to effectively manage program operations; with Managing Director of Program Operations and other key stakeholders, work to better streamline and support internal operations systems
- Refine file architecture and filing conventions, in collaboration with a team of key internal stakeholders
Support Flamboyan DC overall Operations
- Collaborate across program teams to ensure consistent and effective operational supports are in place, both programmatically and organizationally
- Help to monitor DC Program Team budget, through review of monthly financials and by conducting ledger review meetings with teams, providing team members with headlines on spending and managing accounts and ensuring good stewardship
- Support D.C. onboarding for new staff, in relation to partner school finances and internal finance and/or team operations procedures
- Other duties and special projects, as assigned
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree
- 1-3 years professional experience with demonstrated responsibility planning and carrying out complex initiatives
- Experience working within the non-profit and/or education sectors preferred
- Prior experience in one or more of the following areas a plus:
- Developing and managing budgets and financial processes
- Managing cross-departmental projects
- Successful grants management and/grant writing
Skills and Qualifications
- Natural propensity to define and analyze problems, identify solutions or opportunities, and describe additional information needed, potential tradeoffs, and implications of potential solutions
- Creative problem solver, with an open mind and strong judgment in assessing options that weigh flexibility and consistency as opposing values
- Enthusiasm for working at both strategic and detailed execution levels and ability to independently plan and see a project through to completion
- Interest in engaging in ongoing self and organizational efforts to dismantle structural racism and institutionalize anti-racist practices
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills; ability to influence busy people to take actions that improve efficiency and/or impact
How we value you
Flamboyan offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position, a comprehensive benefits package, generous vacation time, and professional development opportunities. We also offer a flexible, family-friendly, beautiful work environment, centered on the philosophy that we value people.
How to Apply
How to Apply
Please submit a resume, thoughtful cover letter explaining your interest in this role and in the work of Flamboyan Foundation, and a work sample that demonstrates your ability to project plan following the instructions outlined in the application below. The application below must be completed in one sitting - it cannot be saved and edited at a later time. We recommend completing it in one sitting, or answering the questions offline and copying them to the application below when you are completed and ready to submit. Applications submitted by April 30, 2018, will receive best consideration.
Flamboyan Foundation values equity and is committed to being an inclusive organization that challenges historical inequity, with a focus on dismantling systemic racism. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation gender identity or expression, veteran status or disability. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply.