As one of the largest public health service nonprofit organizations in New York City, Public Health Solutions (PHS) improves health among the city’s most vulnerable populations by tackling social and clinical factors that impact New Yorkers’ ability to thrive. Today PHS serves 200,000+ New Yorkers annually, and we support the work of more than 200 community-based nonprofit organizations. PHS implements innovative, cost-effective population-based health programs; conducts research providing insight on effective public health interventions; and provides services to government and other nonprofits to address public health issues. Together with our colleagues in the service sector, government, philanthropy and policy organizations, we are thought leaders and cutting-edge public health professionals in New York City, New York State and truly, throughout the country.
Highlights of our work include:
- Providing direct services to over 80,000 New Yorkers a year, primarily families with children. These services address critical needs in low-income communities, including food security; nutrition and obesity; women’s reproductive health; early childhood development; HIV prevention and access to care; quality healthcare access; and tobacco control.
- Promoting the imminent eradication of AIDS in NYC through research, service delivery and funding administration. We engage 200+ community-based organizations around the city in HIV-related outreach. Our network serves 96,000 people living with or at risk of becoming infected with HIV/AIDS.
- Developing technology-based interventions and social marketing public health campaigns using video, social media, and interactive internet-based applications, specifically in the areas of reproductive health, HIV prevention and childhood obesity prevention.
Under general supervision, the Junior Buyer is responsible for contract negotiation and administration of formally advertised higher dollar and more complex purchases from concept stages through receipt and closeout. Develops contract specifications and source lists. Ensures contract meets organization’s requirements for quality and cost effectiveness.
- Assist the Purchasing Director and Buyer in the purchasing order process.
- Determines and implements proper purchasing methods to ensure compliance with applicable directives.
- Develops specifications for department needs or requirements and prepares written documentation for prospective bidders.
- Solicits telephone quotations and prepares formal solicitation documents.
- Analyzes quotations, proposals, bids and recommends acceptance or rejection.
- Administers contracts and purchase orders. Formulates annual requirements contracts for continued services or supplies.
- Develops and maintains vendor lists.
- Knowledge and preparation of request for proposals and invitation for bids from initiation to negotiated contract execution.
- Evaluates and monitors contract performance, compliance and contractual obligations for professional service agreements, discretionary agreements, or large, high-risk contract engagements.
- Negotiates contract terms, costs, and conditions with selected vendors or consultants.
- Oversees all contract processes and procedures to ensure cost-benefit analysis for professional service agreements, discretionary agreements or large, high-risk contract engagements and is in compliance with all established procedures and policies.
- Associate’s Degree in Business Administration or related study preferred.
- Must have a working knowledge of purchasing policies and procedures and have at least one to three years of experience in all facets of procurement.
- Experience with any or all the following: office supplies, communications equipment, medical purchasing, contract terminology, forecasting value and cost analysis, benchmarking, bid process and any other economical/reduction principles.
- Must be computer literate with a thorough understanding of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access.
- Previous experience using Basware purchasing systems or other purchasing systems helpful.
- Must be articulate, have good communication skills, negotiation savvy, problem-solving, math and writing skills.
PHS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals, and veterans.
How to Apply
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION PLEASE INCLUDE A COVER LETTER AND CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING LINK: