The California Science Center’s mission is to stimulate curiosity and inspire science learning in everyone, by creating fun, memorable experiences. We are an internationally recognized leader in informal science education and currently undertaking our biggest endeavor yet – to build the new Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center, a major expansion and the permanent home of Space Shuttle Endeavour.
EndeavourLA is the California Science Center Foundation’s $250 million campaign to build the new Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center, a 200,000 square foot addition to the California Science Center's main building. The new addition will join together existing exhibits with three stories of new galleries. Long envisioned as Phase III of the Science Center’s 25-year Master Plan, this major expansion will include a diverse collection of aircraft and spacecraft, and hands-on, educational exhibits that encourage active learning through discovery. EndeavourLA will inspire a new generation of scientists, innovators and explorers.
This opportunity exists for an experienced advancement professional that is excited and ready to join the California Science Center Foundation’s dynamic development team that drives the EndeavourLA Campaign!
To learn more about us and the EndeavourLA Campaign visit: californiasciencecenter.org.
You are a highly passionate and dedicated person ready to go above and beyond to support our mission! You enjoy working with people who are equally passionate about their work and making a difference through their non-profit service.
You are a development professional who is:
- Driven by a desire to make a difference
- Motivated to rally people around our mission - effectively telling the unique story and impact of our mission
- Focused on people - building and maintaining personal, pleasing, and rewarding relationships with donors
- Resilient and adaptable to an ever-changing environment
As the Campaign Director, you will thrive in a team environment, working with key Science Center leaders who match the passions and promise of our community with the unwavering generosity of our donors.
About the Job:
The Campaign Director is responsible for leading all aspects of the EndeavourLA Campaign in support of the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center project and ongoing programs and operations. Reporting to the Senior Vice President/Chief Advancement Officer (SVP/CAO) and working closely with the President & CEO and Board of Trustees, the Campaign Director oversees the planning and implementation of a campaign strategy including: principal and major gifts; planned giving; community gifts; campaign communications; donor recognition and stewardship. The Campaign Director will be a key player during a transformational period of growth as the California Science Center advances Phase III of its 25-year Master Plan.
Senior Vice President/Chief Advancement Officer (SVP/CAO)
- Work with leadership to develop and lead a campaign strategy to achieve the $250 million EndeavourLA goal and fulfill the vision for the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center.
- Execute a campaign plan including: principal and major gifts; planned giving; community gifts; campaign communications; donor recognition and stewardship.
- Direct staff and consultants in the implementation of all systems, strategies and management plans to effectively coordinate responsibilities for the campaign.
- Manage campaign volunteers and provide primary staff support to the Campaign Committee comprised of Trustees and other key leaders.
- Further engage the Board of Trustees in fundraising and the identification of donor prospects; coach volunteer leaders and staff in the pursuit of major gifts.
- Actively manage a major gift portfolio including individual, foundation and corporate donors and prospects; serve as a major gift solicitor.
- Expand the pool of prospective donors; develop and manage a targeted pipeline of qualified prospects through research and cultivation efforts.
- Develop and implement donor engagement strategies designed to cultivate and secure new gifts, as well as increase support from existing donors.
- Oversee development and implementation of planned giving program strategy.
- With Communications and Marketing teams, oversee development and implementation of strategic communications and marketing plan to promote EndeavourLA.
- Manage a five-person team including three direct reports: Associate Campaign Director, Operations/Communications; Associate Campaign Director, Major Gifts/Planned Giving; and Campaign Coordinator.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university.
- Accomplished front-line fundraiser with substantial development background, 8 or more years. Capital campaign management experience is required.
- Record of successful career growth leading to significant management responsibilities in a nonprofit organization. Experience with museums, informal learning institutions or community-based organizations preferred.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and professional demeanor with demonstrated ability to build and maintain productive relationships with senior staff, board members and major donors.
- Successful track record of soliciting and closing major gifts.
- Ability to identify, qualify and engage prospective donors from outside the Foundation’s existing donor base; knowledge of Los Angeles area philanthropic communities desired.
- Deep knowledge of best practices in development and campaign fundraising and ability to apply this knowledge to guide strategy.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team to produce results in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Strong project management skills with demonstrated ability to strategize, set and meet goals.
- Excellent prospect research, persuasive writing and editing skills with experience writing winning proposals.
Commensurate with experience. California Science Center Foundation employees receive excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage; retirement package; free science center membership, group term life insurance, and 11 paid holidays.
How to Apply
Take the next step to thoroughly embrace our mission and join us in creating a vibrant and engaged community!
Send Cover Letter, Resume and Salary Target to the HR Dept. via fax at 213-744-2673, email to [email protected], or mail to the California Science Center Foundation, H. R. Dept, 700 Exposition Park Dr., Los Angeles, CA 90037. No phone calls please. EOE.
Your cover letter should address how well you thrive in these 4 key competencies:
- Relationship Building. Engaging and interacting with others to achieve organizational goals and fulfill interpersonal commitments.
- Leadership. Developing, directing, and evaluating human and financial resources to accomplish departmental and organizational objectives.
- Professional Judgment. Involving and inspiring others to realize philanthropic and organizational vision.
- Organizational Management. Practicing thoughts and behaviors that lead to efficient and effective performance.
Position opened until filled. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.