Cities of Service is a national nonprofit organization that helps mayors and city leaders engage their citizens to build stronger communities. The organization provides technical assistance, programmatic support, planning resources, and funding opportunities to cities and their leadership. Founded in 2009 by New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, Cities of Service was originally incubated within Bloomberg Philanthropies and officially spun-off as an independent entity in February 2014. Today, Cities of Service supports a coalition of more than 235 cities, representing nearly 55 million people in 45 states, and more than 10 million people in the U.K.
This role is ideal for an ambitious and bright individual with a strong sense of personal initiative and an interest in cities, citizen engagement and public service. Successful candidates possess a combination of strong communication, analytical, and interpersonal skills and are able to work well with peers, senior staff, and external stakeholders, including city officials and funders.
The Special Assistant will lead the design, development, and implementation of special projects necessary for the organization’s growth as well as administrative duties. He/she will report directly to the Executive Director and will support the work of the Executive Team of Cities of Service – Executive Director, Deputy Director, Director of Communications, and Director of Operations.
The ideal candidate is:
- Ambitious with a keen interest in a high-exposure, entry-level role as a key stepping stone in building his/her career in the nonprofit, foundation, and/or local government sector;
- Capable of juggling multiple tasks with competing priorities with thoughtfulness and enthusiasm;
- A relentless perfectionist with a positive attitude who is ready and willing to take on anything with a battle cry of "no task is too large or too small”
- Finds it easy to put thoughts into words.
- Manage calendars for the Deputy Director and the Director of Communications
- Arrange travel for the Executive Team including processing reimbursements and preparing briefings and other travel materials
- Attend meetings and take notes to capture critical conversations, issues, and next steps
- Identify, coordinate, and track meeting follow-up items with internal and external stakeholders
- Conduct background research and write or edit briefings, memos, correspondence, program/policy papers, and other materials
- Coordinate with internal and external stakeholders on planning and logistics for conferences and other events
- Assist in management of projects, including coordination of stakeholders and resources, tracking timelines, scope, and objectives
- Perform miscellaneous administrative needs and staff requests
- Represent Cities of Service with poise and professionalism
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- 1-3 years relevant internship or work experience
- Demonstrated leadership and project management experience
- Meticulous attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize with appropriate sense of urgency to accomplish tasks
- Ability to work under pressure on competing responsibilities
- Excellent writer
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
- Comfortable with managing up and collaborating with multiple members of the team
- Strong sense of personal initiative
- Ability to identify and ask strong questions to move projects forward
- Highly capable with web research, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to use discretion and handle confidential information
- Great sense of humor and ability to go with the flow
- Experience working in a fast-paced working environment
- Experience planning events
- Facility with web technologies including social media and Salesforce with a strong interest in learning more
This is a full time, entry-level salaried position with Cities of Service.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Applications without cover letters will not be considered. Cover letter should detail your interest and qualifications for why you are the right fit for the role. Please include three professional references that we may contact in the case that you are chosen as a finalist for the position.
Cities of Service is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all persons regardless of race, color, creed, gender, gender identity, religion, national origin or ancestry, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, physical or mental disability that can be reasonably accommodated, medical condition including genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, political affiliation, military status, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. Cities of Service also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception of said characteristics. Cities of Service is proud to be an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps and Peace Corps alumni applicants will receive special consideration.