AS THE WORLD’S LARGEST LESBIAN, GAY, BISEXUAL, TRANSGENDER, AND QUEER (LGBTQ) MEDIA ADVOCACY ORGANIZATION, GLAAD is at the forefront of accelerating acceptance to ensure fair, accurate, and inclusive representation that leads to cultural change.
Founded in 1985, GLAAD rewrites the script for LGBTQ acceptance. As a dynamic media force, GLAAD tackles tough issues to shape the narrative and provoke dialogue that leads to cultural change.
GLAAD operates with support from foundations, corporations and individuals from every corner of the United States. We have a highly skilled and actively engaged staff of 50, and an annual operating budget in excess of 12 million dollars.
Amidst a period of financial growth and programmatic expansion, we are in the process of moving our financial and operational functions from our Los Angeles office to our office in New York. Reporting to the CFAO, the Finance Director is responsible for building and implementing efficient, reliable and responsive systems for financial planning, accounting, compliance and reporting. This pivotal role is responsible for the optimal functioning of critical financial systems.
Chief Financial and Administrative Officer
- Thoroughly understand GLAAD, including its mission, values, key stakeholders, programs, and finances.
- Manage and continually improve financial accounting and reporting systems.
- Direct the budget planning process, monitoring results, and adjusting forecasts.
- Manage cash flow and treasury functions, and maintain relationships with banking institutions and payment platforms.
- Develop and implement analytical frameworks for cost allocations.
- Design and generate regular periodic and ad-hoc reports for managers, senior leadership, board and finance committee.
- Create relevant and customized dashboards to communicate KPIs to key internal and external stakeholders.
- Direct the annual audit process.
- Maintain relationships with key external vendors and consultants.
- Supervise the Finance Manager.
- Bachelor’s degree and seven to twelve years non-profit accounting experience. Graduate degree preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in budgeting, financial reporting, cost accounting and systems optimization.
- Experience employing new technologies and advanced knowledge of one or more widely-used non-profit accounting software systems. Knowledge of Abila MIP a plus.
- Ability to analyze financial data in a fast-paced non-profit environment, working at both a strategic organizational level, as well as at a more granular detailed project/program level.
- Prior experience with national advocacy programs highly desirable.
- Impeccable ethical standards coupled with respect for, and commitment to, the mission of the organization.
The Ideal Candidate will possess
- Strong commitment to GLAAD’s mission and vision.
- An orientation toward internal customer service, and the ability to communicate effectively and concisely with non-financial staff.
- A proven ability to work collaboratively and thoughtfully as part of a committed, integrated team.
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to lead staff, solve problems, work independently, and excel in a high-performance culture.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines while maintaining disciplined adherence to goals.
- Irrepressible enthusiasm and optimism.
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience. Generous benefits include fully paid employee medical/dental/vision coverage, 403b contribution, escalating vacation beginning with 17 days, paid sick leave, personal days and holidays, flex spending accounts, employee assistance program, life and long-term disability insurance.
- US work authorization and the ability to pass both financial and criminal background check required.
- GLAAD does not have the ability to provide relocation benefits for this position.
GLAAD is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please send resume and a thoughtful cover letter, including desired salary range, to [email protected], indicating Finance Director in the subject line. Thank you for your interest in employment with GLAAD. Due to high volume, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.